Edgar Mallin Rollason(1866-1/8/1919*) ( our great Uncle) ,the son of Thomas Rollason of West Bromich came out to Australia in 1890. He sailed to Australia via New Zealand. He studied in New Zealand and graduated from the Lincoln Agricultural college , South Canterbury and met his bride to be , Frances Mary Murray(1868-1937). After he established himself in Australia, he returned to marry Frances in 1893.He married at Green Park, Canterbury , N.Z 3/4/1893. (* Note that Edgar died a matter of days prior to his son’s discharge 7/8/1919)
In Australia Edgar first worked as a book-keeper on “Urugabah” station between Hay and Booligal in New South Wales, and then bought a farm in Victoria on the land of what now is Mt Buffalo National Park. His youngest son, Dick, has a scenic farm and lives in Edgar’s homestead today, formerly called ‘Falls View”, it is now known as ‘Eurobin Creek”. Most of Edgar’s sons went back to New Zealand. Those children of Sydney returned in 1933 and settled on a farm at Thornton in North Eastern Victoria.
Children of Edgar and Frances Mary :
1.Mary Eleanor 1894-1942 m. Lubin Robertson and had two children : James Edgar and Eleanor Mary
2. Sydney Thomas Murray 1896- 1972 m Katie Olney Warburton 1900-1986 and had three children : Peter Murray 1931-1934 b. Blenheim N.Z., William Edgar b.1933 and married Anne Goodfellow in St. Paul’s Melbourne (1958), and Helen Mary b.1943 married William Bernard Hall in 1966 .
3. John Lindsay 1901-1947 dec. Kekerangu NZ married Noeline Nalder 1901-1953 and had three children : Mary Patricia Lindsay b.1929 m. Edmund John Good b.1922 in Kekerangu 1948, Patricia Ann b.1930m John Crighton in Auckland, Lindsay Noeline b.1936 m. Malcolm Dunshea in Christchurch in 1959
4. Edgar Wilfred 1902-1948 dec. Kaikoura NZ m. in Christchurch to Isobel Grace Bennett 1908-1970
5. Richard Murray b. 1909 m. Millicent ( Bobbie) Perks The daughter of Richard Murray is Elspeth Millicent who married Donald Edwin Greenhill in Albury 1959. Our mother Joan was still in contact with Elspeth and we have a photo of Joan on horseback with Elspeth at Porepunkah when younger.
Elspeth and Donald have three children , Thomas, Stuart and Roslyn and live at Walwa in Victoria.
3. John Lindsay Rollason : son of Edgar and Mary Rollason:
At the time of enlistment in WW1 John L lived at Albany Rd , Toorak ( with his Uncle Thomas Rollason?). Service #1923 . 2/3 Pioneer Reinforcements . May have arrived back in Australia around May 1919 sent to Hospital Melbourne. Wounded twice.