Dermot Du Moulin Ryan(1899 – 1973) , our Great Great Uncle and WW1

8th Light Horse

8th guidon

Our great great Uncle , Kath’s Uncle, was only 18 years and 9 months when he joined 13/2/18. He was born 25/3/1899 and was a Clerk. His next of kin was Kate Ryan( his mother), of “Repton” Elm Ave. Elsternwick, Victoria. ( He had been serving with the 46th infantry, 5th in Elsternwick).  He also stated his other next of kin was his father, H.H. Ryan serving with the 7th Battalion. He stated that he was born at Upper Beaconsfield, Victoria. (He was born shortly after our grandmother, and it appears that whilst Kate gave birth to Kath in Walhalla, she perhaps had moved to Upper Beaconsfield by the time Dermot was born – or , she had the baby there). Dermot was enlisted under the 2nd Rgnt. Egypt.(8th light horse). His mother had to give consent  January 1918. He departed Sydney on the “Wiltshire” 10/6/1918. He arrived in July 1918.

The Wiltshire , the embarkation ship

dermot du moulin ryan enlistment

dermot ryan ,letter from kate

In September he was transferred to the  8th Light Horse, however , he was sick to hospital by October 1918 and again in November 1918.

8th Light Horse:

With the fall of Gaza on 7 November 1917, the Turkish position in southern Palestine collapsed. The 8th participated in the pursuit that followed and led to the capture of Jerusalem in December. The focus of British operations then moved to the Jordan Valley. In early May 1918 the 8th was involved in the Es Salt raid. It was a tactical failure but did help to convince the Turks that the next offensive would be launched across the Jordan.

Instead, the offensive was launched along the coast on 19 September 1918. The mounted forces penetrated deep into the Turkish rear areas severing roads, railways and communications links. The 8th Light Horse took part in the capture of Tiberius on 25 September and Sasa on 29 September. It entered Damascus on 1 October, and was resting in Homs when the Turks surrendered on 31 October. While waiting to embark for home, the regiment was called back to operational duty to quell the Egyptian revolt that erupted in March 1919; order was restored in little over a month. The 8th sailed for home on 3 July 1919. This text from AWM

Egyptian Uprising 1919

March 1919 – April 1919

In early March 1919, demonstrations in Cairo, mainly by students, initiated an outburst of anti-British rioting, which within a few days spread through all the lower provinces and extended to upper Egypt. The situation was exacerbated by the local civil service’s declaration of a general strike and the rapid suspension of railway and telegraph services. In the absence of a large British force in Egypt, elements of the Australian and ANZAC Mounted Divisions, then awaiting embarkation to Australia, were instructed to restore order. Within a month of the uprising order had been restored and principal political agitators imprisoned. The flexibility and mobility of the ANZAC forces involved were principal factors in the suppression of the rioting.

egyptian uprising 1919

egyptian uprising

Dermot went on to marry Gwen Savage. And had a dauther , Margaret who married Geoff Perdriau . Margaret has been the one who got me interested in the Du Moulins.

dermot du moulin ryangwen ryan

Dermot and Gwen Ryan(1899-1991)

This entry was posted in Joan Stubbs relations, Ryan. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s