James William Du Moulin(surgeon), (son of Jacobus A. du Moulin),our Great great Uncle and his wife Francis Mary

James William 1812-5/6/1854 ( Wollombi) was a surgeon in the Dutch army like his father. Upon arriving in Sydney in 1834 he moved to Wollombi,NSW ( possibly after his father’s death) and married in 1849 at the St.John Anglican church in Wollombi. He married Francis Mary  Olgivie(1836-1902).

st john anglican church wollombi

A Church for Wollombi

St John’s Anglican Church at Wollombi was designed by Edmund Thomas Blacket. Blacket has been listed in Historic Churches of New South Wales as an ‘Architect of genius’. Dr Morton Herman, an authority on Blacket said that “As Blacket had arrived in October 1842, St John’s Wollombi is thus one of the earliest of the 57 churches, among hundreds of other buildings, that he was to design in his 40 years of professional life”.

In 1846 tenders were called for the contract for the stone and woodwork for this church. This was after services being held only four times a year in Wollombi. The foundation stone was laid by the reverend R.T. Bolton on July 22nd 1846. Work on St John’s took a few years, but was finally completed and consecrated by Bishop Tyrrell on February 15 1849. February 2009 saw Wollombi celebrate it’s 160th anniversary.

St John’s is described by Professor A.P. Elkin as ‘a lofty stone building of good proportions in pointed Gothic style. The nave, which was lengthened by twenty feet in 1864, originally measured 20 by 18 feet. The chancel and vestry have not been altered. The pulpit is approached through the vestry.

James’s  wife’s father was Peter Olgivie b. about 1799, Wollombi, was a government surveyor. Francis’s mother was Isabella Campbell of Scotland.

‘James William Du Moulin of this parish- bachelor, and Francis Mary Ogilvie of this parish, spinster, were married in this church by license. Married on Thursday 9th August 1849 by Minister John F.R. Mansfield. In the presence of Benj. Sullivan and Richard H. Sullivan at Wollombi “

 Major Benjamin Sullivan the third ,was born in India 1784 and died in Wollombi 1860. ( the son of Sir Benjamin Sullivan-Baronet , a distinguished officer in the British army).  Sullivan was appointed in 1832 first resident Magistrate of Port Macquarie till 1835. His wife died in 1838 at Brandon Hall, and he remarried Isabella Babara Ogilvie  at the Court House in 1847.Major Sullivan was sworn in as coroner for Wollombi . He was appointed police magistrate at Wollombi in 1847.

Isabella Barbara was the mother of  Francis Ogilvie. Isabella was left in 1840 in trust  1280 acres in Northumberland with cattle  by Charles James Campbell and Dalmahoy Campbell – from her late husband’s estate- Peter Ogilvie  The property from Her mother would become Her daughter Francis’s. It would appear later however, that Benjamin Sullivan treated his wife’s cattle as his own , which caused the court case in March 1852 between James Du Moulin and Benjamin Sullivan.

1852: March, unrest between James Du Moulin and Benjamin Sullivan and the cattle of Mrs Sullivan ( nee Ogilvie). It is a long and complicated story!

CIVIL BUSINESS.

DU MOULIN V. SULLIVAN.

(Before his Honor the Chief Justice and a special jury of four.)

This was an action of trover, the declarationalleging that the defendant, Benjamin Sullivan,seized certain cattle, the property of the plain-tiff”, James William du Moulin ; to this the defendant pleaded first, not guilty, and secondthat the plaintiff was not possessed; on these pleas issue was joined…………………..

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/673023?searchTerm=Isabella%20Barbara%20Ogilvie%20&searchLimits=

Major Sullivan died April 1860 at his residence Aberdour, Wollombi.

History of the Great North Road between Mt. Manning and Wollombi ( Peter Olgivie)

Much of the section of the Great North Road north of Mt Manning was constructed under the supervision of Heneage Finch who had been the Assistant Surveyor responsible for the selection of the original line of road in 1825. in 1830, Finch replaced lt Percy Simpson as supervisor of the area north of Mt Manning up to the Hunter Valley. After a dispute, Finch was abruptly dismissed in 1831. Finch’s successors were L V Dulhunty (1831 – 1834) and Peter Ogilvie (1835 – 1836). Finch had aimed to complete a road equal in excellence of construction to the existing section between Wisemans Ferry and Mt Manning. Similar construction techniques were used, including cut and fill methods that resulted in extensive blasting and quarrying combined with the use of massive embankments and retaining walls as well as culverts and bridges over the numerous small creeks between Mt Manning and Wollombi.

( The Great North road of 240 km between Sydney and the Hunter Valley was constructed between 1826 and 1836)

James William and Francis had two daughters: Grace Caroline b. 1853 and Frances Isabella b. 1850.

James must have had one of his brothers possibly staying with him in Wollombi: William,1841?

1843: Dr. Du Moulin had taken an interest in politics and had attended political meetings in the district in former years. In 1843 he was present at the Gipps Hotel in Wollombi to appoint a district committee campaign for William Foster( a Du Moulin in law)to represent the area in the Legislative Council.

July 1848: ‘George Marriot was indicted for assaulting James William Du Moulin at Wollombi… Dr. Du Moulin , Marriot and several other parties were at Mr. Mc Dougall’s Inn … and the conversation got to electioneeing politics.. Marriot spat at the Doctor three times… he struck Marriot and they fought for some time, Marriot getting the worst of it…..

( Mr. John Mc Dougall was a former convict overseer who settled as post master in 1839 and built in 1840 the Mc Dougall Inn. The Inn closed in 1845 during the abstinence movement. By 1851 the population of Wollombi was 105).

1850: James Du Moulin charged with stealing a bullock belonging to Benjamin Sullivan, Case dismissed when prosecutor failed to appear.

1851: Dr.James W. Du Moulin charged by Major Sullivan of Wollombi with libelling him in a letter to the Governer General, admitted bail.( Guess there was tension ! )

Death:

7th June 1854: ” At Wollombi , on the 5th instant, after a short illness, Dr. Du Moulin, aged 42 years, leaving a wife and two children to deplore his loss. ”

24/3/1855: ” Mr.Gibbs Sales”.. Also, to his sale on Wednesday, at the Wollombi township, of horse stock and household furniture , in the estate of Dr. Du Moulin”.

James Du Moulin , gravestone Wollombi

Even though the gravestone says 43 years, he was 42 when he died according to calculations if born in 1812.

‘Erected over the remains of J. W. Du Moulin Surgeon by the people of Wollombi who are anxious to perpetuate the memory of a man whose many sterling qualities have ever linked his name with their kindest recollections. Died 5th June 1854 aged 43 years”.

James died on the 5th and was buried on the 7th June 1854 (42 years). Ceremony performed by John F.R. Whinfield.

The Hunter District News on 17.6.1854 advised that a collection at a public meeting quicky raised 18 pounds for a monument to James, this at at time when a labourers wage was one pound per week. Rev Whinfield noted in his diary the suddenness of the death of Dr Du Moulin as follows …

“we had a sudden and unexpected death in the place last night- Mr. De Moulin one of our medical men- walked twice to see the widow who is in a low state of mind”.

james du moulin   ( monument Wollombi)

Wollombi Cemetery

http://www.jenwilletts.com/searchaction.php?page=1&surname=du%20moulin&ship=&firstname=

Summary of James William’s life as it appeared in the papers , above.

‘ Deeply regretted.

SULLIVAN -February 20, 1905, at the residence of his stepdaughter. Nurse du Moulin, 22 James-street,  North Sydney, Richard Forbes, youngest son of the  late Benjamin Sullivan, Major 33rd Regiment,  nephew of the late Colonel Snodgrass, formerly of  Sydney, aged 74 .years. (Melbourne and Adelaide papers please copy.) ( The nurse is Francis Isabella Du Moulin?)

Sullivan Family and Francis Mary Du Moulin :

3/6/1873: The Argus

SAMSON—DU MOULIN.—On the 8th  at Islington-house, Islington, South Australia, by the Rev.James Henderson, Walter Louis, eldest son of  William Samson of Adelaide, to Grace Caroline Mary, youngest daughter of the late James Willlam  Du Moulin, M. D., of New South Wales, and step-  daughter of Richard F. Sullivan, of Adelaide.

James William’s wife Francis Mary  remarried to Richard Forbes Sullivan of SA.

Government Gazette :Tuesday, October 30, 1849;His Excellency the Governor has been pleased to appoint the following gentlemen to be commissioners of crown lands within the boundaries of the colony, and to act in and for the police districts specified in con-nexion with their names respectively :Wollombi and Macdonald River.-Richard Forbes Sullivan, Esq. ( This would explain how Francis met Richard Forbes Sullivan!)

28th November 1859: Sydney Morning Herald : Marriage of Frances Mary Du Moulin 

On the 24th instant, at St. Mary’s Church, West Maitland, by the Rev. Robert Chapman, Richard Forbes Sullivan, to Frances Mary du Moulin.

28th March 1870: “Insolvencies and Assignments” South Australian Register:Richard Forbes Sullivan, of Adelaide, gentleman.

1877: there is note of a Isabella Ogilvie arriving in South Australia in 1877. ( Francis’s mother came to South Australia ?).

23/10/1902:The Advertiser 

SULLIVAN.—On the 22nd October, at the  residence of Mrs. Fee, Harris-street, Exeter, South Australia, Frances Mary, dearly beloved wife of Richard Forbes Sullivan, of Berlino station, far north of South Australia, aged 76 years.  Melbourne and Sydney papers please copy.

THE FRIENDS of Mr. RICHARD FORBES SULLIVAN are informed that the Funeral of his late WIFE (Frances Mary) will leave the resi-dence of Mrs. Fee, Harris-street, Exeter, on  FRIDAY, at 3 p.m., for the Woodville Cemetery.

Mungerannie Station : Francis and Richard Sullivan

http://www.southaustralianhistory.com.au/mungerannie.htm

…………Fortunately a new government well had just been completed at Mungerannie but no troughs as yet for the animals to drink. With more wells being planned and eventually completed travel along the stock route became a little easier, although it was still hampered by recurring droughts and dust.

Facilities improved a great deal when Richard Forbes Sullivan and his wife opened a store, eatinghouse and hotel at Mungerannie in 1886 to supply shepherds, drovers, travellers and surrounding station people with most of their daily needs. He even put up a travellers’ tent with several bunks for people to sleep in if they arrived during the night. The Sullivans ran the hotel until September 1889 when it was taken over by Robert Rowe.

mungeranieHotel

mungerannie Hotel

mungeranie hotel 2

Mungerannie hotel  up for sale for $1million 2012

large_Mungarannie_Hotel

large_Mungarannie_Hotel

http://www.mungeranniehotel.com.au/mungergolfandrecrules.htm

Mungarannie Golf Club above

I cannot imagine what it was like owning this hotel in the late 1800s! You would have to be made of tough stuff !

Advertisements
This entry was posted in 1800's, Du Moulin, Joan Stubbs relations, sullivan. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s