Louis Eugene Du Moulin (1859-1902) (was the son of Johan Pieter Du Moulin b.1816 in Brumise, Oostduiveland- 1901), Johan Peter( second eldest son), came out with Jacobus A. Du Moulin to Australia in 1834.
Johan Pieter Du Moulin : d.1901
JP du moulin New Zealand ( article by Brian Davies re John Peter Du Moulin )
Louis ‘s father, Johan Pieter went to New Zealand (after his father Jacobus died in 1839). It is my assumption that JP arrived in 1839 , possibly on the “Currency Lass” which arrived in December 1839. JP arrived in NZ before the arrival of Capt. William Hobson and his surveyor from Sydney, Felton Matthew . The Capt. and Felton Matthew took office at the Bay of Islands January 1840 , relieving James Bushy, the British Resident, who was stationed at Waitangi. “Mathew had to depend on engaging surveyors who were already in the country . Several were acting as agents for absentee owners and were themselves engaged in Land speculation . Among them were two young ( French ) surveyors who were watching French interests. They were Jean (John) du Moulin , who subsequently joined Mathew’s survey staff , and J. A. Duvauchelle who later joined his compatriots at Akaroa.”
Felton Mathew wrote to the Colonial Secretary in Auckland 18 March 1841 asking that J P du Moulin’s appointment as clerk and draftsman be approved, noting that he had filled a similar post most satisfactorily with Mathew in Sydney, after having undergone the usual examination by the Board. A salary of £150 per annum was recommended
JP was apointed in the Auckland Batallion of Militia as an Ensign , April 1845.
We know JP was in New Zealand in 1841 as he authored a sketch by Felton Mathew SG who created a sketch of the land reserved around the Government House , Auckland. We now know that JP Du Moulin helped to shape Auckland city and his contact with Felton Mathew was an important one.
There was an assumption by the author of the Pioneer Surveyors of New Zealand that JP Du Moulin was looking after French interests there in 1839 . There is the arrival of the French Bishop Pompallier in January 1838 where he took up residence at Russell( Bay of Islands) . The bishop bought land at Russell in 1839 and the home at Russell was constructed in 1841/2 which housed a printer and tannery.
( the house above of the Bishop Pompallier)
Other French priests arrived on the “Reine de Paix” to Bay of Islands June 1839 and others in 1840. By 1840 there was a French settlement at Akaroa . By the end of July 1841 Hobson had given the Bishop land for a station and a church.( Auckland). The Bishop did persuade the protestant missionaries to not object to British Colonization in the face of possible French occupation.
( above the story of Bishop Pompallier)
Johan married Mary Thursa(Teresa) Tighe d.1910 around 1854 and had a daughter Mary Du Moulin born 1858 in New Plymouth, N.Z. ( Louis was born one year later in 1859 at their residence “Stonyhurst” Mt Eden ). JP served in the army 1845 – 1864 – 3rd Waikato regiment. He received a N.Z. war medal in 1862 . See below from the Du Moulin lineage document:
|Johan pieter: 21 yrs C.T. corps D.A.C.G.(Deputy Ass. Comissary General) of the Royal Army service corps.|
|16/4/1845-1866. 3rd Waikato Reg. 1863-1864|
|NZ war medal 3rd Nov 1862. Heke war 1845-|
|Native wars in Sth Wellington, Wanganui &|
|Tarankai wars 1860.Went NZ 1839.61 yrs Auckland|
|Officer of Commissariat staff. 1841: paid into treasury|
|balance of purchase of land in Auckland|
Mary Teresa Tighe, his wife, was the daughter of Major Michael Tighe of the 58th regiment .Mary settled in Auckland in the 1840’s after the Heke War. (1846).
Mary’s sister was Philomena :
“Mary’s sister Philomena Geraldine married Lieutenant John Parkinson of the 57th Regiment. In October 1860 the Regiment had been ordered to New Zealand from Poonah; they arrived in three ships the second, the Castilian, bearing a number of officers including Parkinson. They landed on 22 January 1861 and Philomena was married in Auckland on 31 August of that year.”( Brian Davis)
After marriage, Mary and JP went to Taranaki.
Death of Michael Tighe 1868 above, he was well respected.
More on Major M. Tighe above, he had 60000 -7000 people at his funeral.
http://www.balagan.org.uk/war/new-zealand-wars/timeline_hone_hekes_war.htm ( This summarizes up risings in the 1840’s)
In his young days, JP was fond of sport, and rode as a gentleman rider in the military sports of the garrison at Potter’s Paddock, which was then the Auckland racecourse.
By 1846 John Peter had purchased deed of partition of land on Great Barrier Island. ( Maori deeds of old private land purchases in New Zealand from the year 1815 onwards). … he was partnered with a *Frederick Whitaker of Auckland of 2000 acres of land on Great Barrier island which is 100km north east of Auckland . (Copper was discovered there and the earliest mines were established at Miner’s Head in 1842.)
Mr. Whitaker and John Peter bought lands from Chief Tamati Waka-(he was a chief who became an ally of the British in the first Maori war(1845-1846)). (Tamati had signed the declaration of independence of New Zealand in 1835.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Whitaker ( *The partnership with Frederick Whitaker would have been useful). He went on to become Sir Frederick Whitaker who served twice as Prime minister of New Zealand.
(John Peter would have also made money from gold and quartz from land he held on three other small islands off the coast.)
See article from 1868 on Du Moulin’s quartz mine.
(Note: The first European settlers to settle in the Cambridge are of New Zealand were the third regiment of Waikato Militia during the land wars of 1860-1866. The British confiscated 1.2 million acres. Some was returned, some for reserves and 150,000 acres were subdivided for military settlemetns. In 1867 the total number of settlers was 200. The Waikato militia was disbanded.)
Highlights of J.P. Du Moulin:
April 1845: JP was appointed Ensign of the Auckland Batallion of Militia .
1845 & 1855 JP bought two 36 acre blocks of land at the northern end of the borough at Mt Eden. He developed and sub divided these in about 1879.
1860’s : Company: JP Du Moulin and Co. Mining Agents & Share Brokers . Fort St. Auckland.
1869: JP owned 400 shares in the “Mermaid Gold Mining Co. ” , Thames Gold field , Auckland province.
1869: JP must have been share owner in : “Magenta Gold Mining Co.”, “Oriental Gold Mining co.”,” Humboldt Mining Co.” based on newspaper ads for meetings at his offices.
1870: JP was secretary of the “North Island Gold mining Co.”The office of this company was located at The Exchange, Fort Street.
1876:He was the manager of the Fiji branch of the Bank of New Zealand.Records show arrival of JP Du Moulin nov 6th 1876 in the “City of New York ” at Auckland from Kandavu( Fiji).
Oct 1878: JP Du Moulin went to court against the Minister of Public Works – a claim for compensation for land compulsorily taken for the Kaipara and Puniu railway.( see below)
1879: developed and subdivided land at mt eden .
“Initially the land was utilised for farms, but from quite early on the area hosted country residences of professionals and business people from Auckland. Most of the farm land was subdivided into large suburban plots between 1870 and 1875, and the principal roads were formed by the Crown. Mt Eden’s first school opened in 1877 on the corner of Mt Eden and Valley roads. In 1879 the mountain was officially protected as a public reserve. The tea kiosk on the slope of Mt Eden was built in 1927.”
1881: JP and his wife Mary were at St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands. ( Britain).
1880-1881 : Residence, Rodney, Auckland.
1887:For sale: ( auction ?) All that piece or parcel of Land in the Parish of Walteaaata and County of Eden, comprising part of Lot No. 11 of the subdivision by one John Peter Du Moulin of Allotments 9 aud 10 of .-ectlon 10 of the Suburbs of Auckland, situated at the corner of the View and Mount Roekili KoaJi, having a frontage to View Road of 200 feet and to Mount Koskill Road of about 120 feet. BY ORDER OF THE MORTGAGEE.
1880’s : JP may have travelled to England, according to his associate /friend Samuel Vaile 1828-1913.
JP died in his 85 th year on 1/1/1901 at his residence , Lower Symonds St. Auckland and was survived by his widow , one son Louis and two grandchildren.( We cannot find any further record of his daughter Mary b. 1858 who may have died early )
John’s son was killed one year later from his death. It is noted that John married Mary at the Bay of Islands , and that he had lived in New Zealand for 61 years. Whilst John had been married 37 years, his son was 41 years at the time of his death.
The certificate notes burial at Pureurua ( Peninsula at the bay of islands ). It was confirmed after her death that the estate of Mary Du Moulin was worth 23,085 pounds! Both funerals of JP and Mary took place at the Anglican St Paul’s church in Symonds St. Auckland. ( Close to their later years residence of lower Symonds street ).
http://www.purewa.co.nz/ ( cemetery where buried )
Louis Eugene Du Moulin ( Our’ great grand uncle’): 1859-1902.Lt. in the 107th regiment and later a first Lieutenant of the Royal Sussex regiment . ( He was killed in action during the Boer war in January 1902 at Abraham’s Kraal, South Africa).
1885: Lt. L.E. Du Moulin was promoted to Captain in the Royal Sussex Regiment.
1899: Lt. L.E. Du Moulin of the 1st battalion (late 36th). appointed Lt. Colonel.
Louis ( of the 107th)was married July 7th, 1884 while a superintendent of Gymnasia , Malta. He was married at the church of the Sacred Heart , Kilburn ( London, UK) to Katie Parrell Bartlett , daughter of Col. Henry Bartlett O.B. of Falham.
They had a son , Frank Louis 1889 -1918 and daughter Katie Mary .
The war years in South Africa
( from his book “Two Years on Trek” being some account ofthe Royal Sussex regiment in South Africa) Murray and co. The Middlesex Printing Works, 180, Brompton Rd. S.W. 1907.
This book was written by the most part by the late Lt. Col Du Moulin and has been completed and published by his comrades as the most fitting memorial to a gallant soldier.
_Louis Eugène du Moulin was of French descent. By birth he was a New Zealander. He passed through Sandhurst and entered the army in 1879, joining the 107th Regiment–now the Second Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment. With this battalion all his service was spent, until his promotion in 1899 as second in command of the First Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment (the old 35th)._
_He served in the Black Mountain Campaign of 1888, in the Chin-Lushaim and Manipur expeditions of 1889-91, and in the Tirah Campaign of
1897-98. Alike among the dark pine woods of the Himalayas, in the dense jungle of Manipur, or on the bleak, stony ridges of the Hazara country the name of du Moulin became a byword in the Regiment, and far beyond the Regiment, for restless energy, never-failing resource and cool daring. He became known all over India as a musketry expert. Many of his ideas were adopted, and are in universal use by those who may never have heard his name._
_Perhaps his real genius was for organization. This quality came
conspicuously into notice in South Africa during the war. Many men who served in the 21st Brigade under General Bruce Hamilton had reason to bless the forethought and unstinted labour of the man who carried out so thoroughly the idea of the Brigade commander, and supplied the Brigade with those welcome additions to bully beef and biscuit which were obtainable at the Brigade Canteen. Often after a hard day’s march and a tough fight have I admired the unselfish spirit in which, disdaining fatigue, he would set to work with his coat off to open stores and arrange the wagons lighted with “dips,” which served as a “coffee shop”
for famishing Tommy._
_A tall, spare man, with keen, dark eyes, a courageous nose and a harsh-toned voice–such was the outward du Moulin. Feared not a little, loved greatly by those under him, afraid of no one, despising precedent and precaution, dependent only on his own iron will and keen intellect,he had a brilliant career before him when he fell gloriously at Abraham’s Kraal on January 28th, 1902. He had gone through the campaign from the advance to Pretoria of Lord Roberts’ army, down to the pursuit of De Wet and of the broken commandos after De Wet’s time, without a wound, and, as far as I can remember, without a day’s sickness–and with
very few days’ rest from marching and fighting._
_He always knew what it was he wanted and how to get it, and how to make others help him to this end._
_One anecdote I may here relate:–
Worn out with much marching, ragged and hungry, the half battalion under du Moulin halted at Kroonstad to refit. Supplies, and especially clothing and boots, were hard to get. Some tired subaltern returned, repulsed from the Ordnance Store, empty handed._
_The matter quickly reached du Moulin’s ears, and he disappeared for what seemed a few minutes. Presently out of a cloud of red dust emerged a mule wagon at a hand gallop. Standing up, driving, cracking a long whip and yelling at the Kaffirs to clear the road, came “Mullins,” as he was familiarly known to all. His grey regulation shirt was rolled up to the elbow, showing a pair of red muscular arms like copper wire. He shouted as he turned his team into the camp, and we hurried to his wagon, to have bundles of new clothes, white shiny rolls of waterproof sheets, and thick soft blankets rapidly allotted to our men; and to save time (for we were moving next morning) “Mullins” himself hurled out the bundles into our arms._
_At another time, when we were at Ventersburg Road Station in one of the brief intervals of rest allowed by Boers who blew up the railway line three times a week (this was in 1900), the siding leading to the dock for entraining horses or cattle was completely blocked by the burnt remains of a train of trucks, rusty and apparently immovable._
_The railway staff smiled incredulously when du Moulin offered to remove the entire train of trucks. Without cranes or appliances they declared it was impossible._
_Collecting all the spare rails, sleepers and fish-plates that could be found about the station yard, du Moulin started work, and a branch railway some 100 yards long was quickly laid leading into the veldt,with proper points connecting it with the siding. A hundred willing
hands hauled at the ropes–the rusty axles, well greased, revolved. In half a day the siding was clear, and the ruined trucks were standing on the veldt, where they probably stand to this day!_
_Another picture of du Moulin under fire, and I have done._
_On the 12th of June, 1900, at Diamond Hill, “B” Company was sent to support the three companies of the Royal Sussex under du Moulin, about midday. These three companies were lying under the scanty shelter of a few rocks at the edge of the flat-topped hill facing the main Boer position, at a distance of about 900 yards. The hail of bullets was incessant, the noise of guns and thousands of rifles deafening. As we arrived breathless, having crossed the 200 yards of flat open ground amid a “rush” of bullets, I sought du Moulin to ask where we were most wanted. He was standing up, a conspicuous figure amidst a “feud’enfer”–pounding with the butt of a rifle a prostrate man, who would not move from the imagined shelter of a stone about as big as a Dutch cheese, and who could not see to fire from his position._
_I got a very curt, lurid rejoinder, and promptly subsided behind a very inadequate rock myself._
_Colonel du Moulin was shot through the heart, leading a charge against the Boers who had rushed his camp. Always in front–always the first to face the foe. “Felix opportunitati mortis.” May he rest in peace._
_J. G. PANTON._
( Preface written by Col.J. G. Panton, commanding 2nd battalion Royal Sussex Regiment 1903 – 1907)
It was the design of Col. du Moulin to write an account of the doings of the Royal Sussex Regiment in South Africa, which should both serve to remind those of the Regiment who went through the campaign of the incidents in which they took part, and should also put on record another chapter of that Regimental History, made through many years in many lands, of which all who serve in the Regiment may be so justly proud.
During the months of November and December, 1900, he found, in the comparative quiet of the occupation of Lindley, an opportunity of completing his account up to date. His manuscript is typed (he managed to obtain a machine from somewhere) upon the only paper available–the backs of invoice sheets from a store in the town.
From the evacuation of Lindley in January, 1901, to his death a year later, Col. du Moulin was far too much occupied with his work in the field to do more than make a few notes for his book. And it is from these notes of his, and from the diaries, letters, and personal reminiscences of other Officers, that the later chapters have been compiled.
It has been thought better to leave Col. du Moulin’s work practically untouched, although it was never subjected by him to a final revision, and although he had no opportunity of modifying anything he wrote, in the light of subsequent history. As it stands, it gives a vivid picture of events that had only just occurred–drawn with a firm hand, while the impression was fresh upon the author’s mind.
In compiling the subsequent chapters, the object has been merely to give a slight sketch of the experiences of the Regiment during the latter half of the war. It has not been attempted (nor would it have been possible) to enter into detail to the same extent as was done by Col. du Moulin, writing upon the spot. If one or two scenes are preserved, it is the utmost that can be hoped.
The Appendices contain the stories of the 13th and 21st M.I., on which several officers and a number of men of the Regiment were serving. The former is kindly contributed by Capt. G. P. Hunt, of the Royal Berkshire Regiment.
H. F. BIDDER.
The book can be found at the above address.
Please read the very touching story above of how they found the grave of Lt. Col. Du Moulin and rallied round and built a memoria for him in 2008 in South Africa. Entitled “His fitting, final tribute”
Du MOULIN – Lieutenant-Colonel Louis Eugene – 1/Royal Sussex Regt.
Killed in action at Abraham’s Kraal, near Koffyfontein. 28th Jan. 1902. Aged 42. Born October 1859. Served in Hazara 1885 (medal & clasp, MID), Chin-Lushai 1889-90 (clasp, MID), Manipur 1891 (clasp), Tirah 1897-8 (medal & 2 claps), and QSA (4 clasps).
1903: it is noted that Mary Du Moulin, his mother, requested of Dept. of customs in Wellington for a refund of duty on the memorial of her son. ( not sure where this memorial is ).
All the places Louis is remembered , along with his battalion, including Auckland Grammar school.
Louis Eugene Du Moulin had a son b 1889 : Francis Louis Du Moulin killed in action in WW1 nov 1918. ( Lt Colonel with the Royal Sussex regiment and E Yorkshire , enlisted at 18). I believe Francis Louis may have had a son : Frank Louis and a daughter Katie May, their birth dates to be confirmed.
There is also a Second Lt. Frederick Louis Du Moulin of the 1st Royal Sussex regiment who was also in WW1, the son of Louis Du Moulin.
Please refer to the above blog for Frank Louis du Moulin.