James Andrew Du Moulin (1832-1891), born of Jacobus A. Du Moulin , married Mary Ann Bowen (1841 -1888) in Tasmania, 1861/1862.James travelled to California nov 9th /1849 to try his luck in the gold fields first leaving on the barge “Victoria” heading for San Francisco. ( Capt Carphin)
Bowen Family or North East Tasmania :
Mary Ann Bowen , our Great Great Grandmother , was the daughter of:
Samuel Bowen 1797-1870 ( born Monmouth, Monmouthshire and died Ringarooma Tasmania ), and Ann Barnes 1804-1876,( second wife), born , Norfolk Island, and married in Tasmania 1837, died Tasmania. ( Ann’s father Richard , came out with the convict ship to Sydney then , after marriage #2 was transferred to the convict settlement at Norfolk Island where Ann was born ).
Samuel Bowen was the son of Henry Bowen-(Henry christened 11/3/1753) and Elizabeth Williams ( married 1786) .The Bowen family seemed to live at Caerwent, Monmouth Wales for several generations . Many are buried at St Stephens Church graveyard in Caerwent.
Samuel Bowen was one of 8 children, several of whom died as infants. Samuel was married to Ann in England . Ann and his child Daniel arrived to Tasmania on the transport ship “Persian” August 1827. Ann and Daniel came to live at Major Mc Leod’s property and in 1827 Sam was assigned to his wife Ann. Ann died 2/1/1834.
Daniel Bowen the son of Samuel and Ann ,married Catherine Hurley and his grave at Evandale, Tasmania – shown above.
Samuel Bowen was a convict . Records indicate he was sent on ‘Arab” vessel . ( Life Sentence ) among 159 passengers to Tasmaina.
Record :18/3/1823.This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project. However, other stats show his arrival in 1822. Later it is noted of him aboard the ‘Competitor ” around 1823 .
Samuel left England 3rd July 1822 and arrived Tasmania 6th November 1822.The convict prison was located at the Macquarie Harbour Penal Station situated on Sarah Island, later known as settlement Island. The penal colony operated 1822-1833. Lt. Gov. William Sorell 1822-1824 , then Lt. Gov. George Arthur 1824-1833.
Samuel went into service of Major D McLeod of Talisker. Donald McLeod was a Major with the 56th regiment who had arrived in Van Dieman’s Land on 27/11/1820. He was granted Talisker*and Gledessary, Cleggan. The major was granted 2,000 acres in Tasmania when he landed (* Documents on Evandale show that Talisker was possiby a grant to Major McLord and not McLeod). Talisker house was located at Evandale( first known as Morven), so this is where Samuel Bowen would have lived .
BIOGRAPHY: Rev. Dr. Donald MacKinnon and Alick Morrison, THE MACLEODS–THE GENEALOGY OF A CLAN, Section II, Edinburgh, The Clan MacLeod Society, 1968, pp. 10-11, 17. Donald MacLeod, as a young man, took up the ‘profession of arms’, and was commissioned Lieutenant, on 20th August 1794, in the 71st Highland Regiment. He became Major, on 24th September 1808, in the 3rd Regiment of Inverness-shire Local Militia, receiving his commission from Sir James Grant of Grant, Baronet, Lord Lieutenant of Inverness-shire. Major MacLeod, in 1820, sold the remainder of his lease of Talisker, and left for Van Diemen’s Land (now Tasmania) on the ship SKELTON, which sailed from Skye in June or July 1820. On arrival in Van Diemen’s Land, on 30th November 1820, he received a grant of 2,000 acres of land, and was allotted seven servants. He named his property ‘Talisker’, in memory of the home he had left in Skye, which his family had occupied for two hudnred years. Later, in 1837, he crossed over to Sydney, New South Wales, where some of his sons had settled, and there he died on 11th April 1838. Major Donald MacLeod married, on 25th April 1806, Catherine, daughter of Alexander (alasdair Ruadh) MacLean, 14th of the MacLeans of Coll, with issue. As already stated, Major Donald MacLeod died, on 11th April 1838, in Sydney. His widow, at an advanced age, paid a visit to the ‘old country’, where she remained for a few years, and then returned to Australia, where she died, on 22nd February 1863, in Victoria. Major MacLeod was succeeded in the representation of the MacLeods of Talisker by his eldest son.
The realities of the Major were that he emigrated to Tasmania out of monetary necessity. He described his circumstances as distressed and in some desperation began to think about quitting Scottland. There were links between the Taslister family and Lachlan Macquarie ( 1809 Lachlan became the governor of Britain’s Australian posessions). Mc Quarie was related to Major Donald’s wife, Catherine. This explains how easily the Major received 2000 acres at or near Hobart . His land grant was confirmed before he left Scotland. ( The major had to borrow money from his father in law Alexander Maclean of Coll to pay for passage to Australia for him and his family- three sons, two daughters and a wife ).
Prior to their arrival in Tasmania November 1820 , the white population consisted mostly of convicts and their guards and so his arrival with entourage generated a lot of interest in Tasmania. ( His party comprised about a quarter of the total of 88 passengers).Upon arrival the Major received an invitation from Governor Sorell to Parliament House where a schedule of property was drawn up. The major carried out farming here until his death in 1838 ( even though he had gone to live in Victoria). The Major owned a flour mill on the South Esk River and his land was at Evandale . The names of his properties were : ‘Talisker” , “Clegin” and Glendessary. The Mcleod family was known as the “The Big McLeods”.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/63677057?searchTerm=major Donald Mcleod of hobart&searchLimits=
The death of Samuel Bowen:23/2/1870:BOWEN.-At Cape Portland, on the morning of the 15th February, Mr Samuel Bowen, after a lingering illness, aged 72 years.
Death of his wife Ann:15/8/1876 Launceston Examiner BOWEN-On the 12th August, at her residence,Tregaron, Cape Portland, Ann, relict. of the late Mr Samuel Bowen, Cape Portland, aged 72 years.
27/2/1883(Mary Ann Bowen’s brother)BOWEN.- On 22nd February, at his residence,Tregaron, Cape Portland, Samuel Bowen,aged 42 years; leaves a wife and three children to mourn their loss. ( Just prior to this his wife was noted as having lost her five year old son John who died in Launceston around mid January 1883). Their property was noted as being 30 miles from Boobyalla.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boobyalla,_Tasmania
Samuel Bowen Junior, Mary Ann’s brother, became Post master at Cape Portland after his father Samuel died. (1870). Stated that Samuel Bowen Senior was noted as being Vice Post Master.( Cape Portland Post Office opened in 1865 ).After Samuel Bowen’s death in 1870 ,in 1876 it has been noted that Mrs Bowen lived near Swan Island , not too far then from Cape Portland. Had she moved? Since her husband lived about 30 miles from the coast before he died.
Noted between 1914 and 1922 a Samuel Richard Bygrove Bowen lived at Tregaron , Ringarooma Tasmania. 1922: Eliza Teresa Bowen of Tregaron. Also 1922: Milfred mary Bowen of Derby Tasmaina and George Ernest Bowen (cordial maker ) of Derby Tasmania.
Ann Barnes , Mary Ann Bowden’s mother: ( Our 3 x Greats Grandmother)
Ann Barnes was the daughter of Richard Barnes 1770-1817 ( he died at sea on board ‘The Ajax” on a journey from Ceylon to England ) and Hannah Bygrove 1773- 1810 d. Australia. Richard Barnes was a Sargent with the 73rd Regiment, first married in 1811 to Mary Ann Watson in Sydney. ( See below) I suspect that since Richard was with the 73rd, and the Regiment was asked to fight in Ceylon 1914-1915. I wonder if he, Richard, had stayed behind in Ceylon aft er the war.
Hannah and Richard Barnes had 5 children including Ann: Margaret, William Bygrove, Richard Bygrove.
The 73rd Regiment:
(The 73rd Regiment arrived in Australia 31/12/1809 on the ‘Dromedary” – the journey took 8 months. in 1809 30 non commissioned officers and privates of the 73rd regiment arrived on the Convict ship, ‘Boyd”. The regiment also arrived in 1810 with 197 male prisoners on the “Drury”.)
Marriage of Richard Barnes to his first wife( Mary Anne Watson), NSW.1811
Tasmania and Jacobus A. Du Moulin :
21/4/1858 an ad was placed by J.A. Du Moulin in the Courier Hobart for a boat found and his address was Cape Portland.
Why did Jacobus go to Tasmania ? The area of Cape Portland only started to get opened up after 1855.
His wife’s(mary ann bowen) father ( Samuel Bowen) lived at Ringarooma, in north east Tasmania near Bridgport in his later years.( 1870). This might give a clue as to the Bowen family’s location of sheep farm that Kath Ryan was speaking of when she visited around 1906. From what I have gathered from newspapers, the Bowen family were settled in the area from around 1832, settling on a coastal area of pastoral land at Cape Portland. In 1831 2,500 acres of land was granted to Simeon Lord and later granted to John Foster. In 1832 1500 acres was granted to Samuel Bowen.
“Except for this strip of coastal pastoral country, the foot of white man had never penetrated the heavy timbered bushlands fo this coast”. Until the expedition of 1855 the Settling families of the Bowens and Fosters were fairy isolated. It is interesting to note the Fosters would have been of Henry Foster fame , and it may have been his son Colonel Henry Foster who was sheep farming there in 1932 along with Bygrove Bowen on his station that same year, 1932.
Jacobus A and Mary Ann’s Bowen’s brother Samuel ,went in search of a bush ranger and this is the account July 1858. This bushranger robbed the man next door to Samuel Bowen senior as well as threatening Samuel senior. Guess they had enough of that! and it took them about three days, but they got him !
1861:James went to Victoria from Sydney in 1861.By 1862 he was married to Mary Bowen in Launceston, Tasmania. ( She was pregnant with Fanny born 1862).
Nov 1872: There is record of James A arriving from Launceston to Hobson’s Bay on the “Tamar”.
James/Jacobus took up land in Boisdale , Victoria – previously owned by John Foster. By 1882 James owned three runs of land at Brookdale, Boisdale, which became his home. ( Previously records show he was also managing Mewburn Park at Maffra).
Gippsland Land owned by the Fosters and JA Du Moulin:
The Parish of Wa de lock gippsland , in 1865 , the map above shows the preemptive purchase by John Foster . This land included land around Dargo and was located adjacent to the Avon Parish.( I apologize I think that this link is broken)
See 1882 map below:
1882:This map above shows the land owned by James A Du Moulin, William and John Foster . Wa de lock , county of Tanjil. James’s neighbour to the south was William Foster, and R Gibbs, to the west, Edward Bates and across the road to the east , J Jones and WB Crisp.
To the north , Edward Rice. James’s land was west of the river avon, however, both Wiliam and John Foster owned land on the Avon River. This land owned by the fosters and james were to the east and north east of the Maffra township boundary.The land owned mostly by the Fosters, extended north to and including boisdale and dargo, west of Briagolong , south to maffra ( east of Maffra boundary ) . John Foster also owned land west of Stratford. The Fosters also owned land at Clydebank.
After James Andrew died in 1891 , their son, James Arthur Du Moulin, (1863-1932)- no children, and died in Maffra, took over the farming land at Brookdale and took an interest in politics. James Arthur is noted as having lived in Newry , Victoria.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/69994265?searchTerm=james Andrew du moulin&searchLimits=
In 1920 James Arthur and Andrew Linton had a business together in Maffra : Stock, Land and General Commission Agents. James A. being the auctioneer.
Mary/Marie Du Moulin death 1888:DU MOULIN. —In fond and loving memory of our dear mother Marie du Moulin, who died at Brookdale,on the 18th October, 1888, in her 47th year. -In-serted by her affectionate family. ( Our Great Great Grandmother ).
James and Mary had 6 children
1.Annie Bygrove (1868-1893/98). buried Maffra Cemetery .
2.Francis ( Fanny) Jessie (24/3/1862-1938)- born Launceston, Tasmaina, she married Andrew Francis Linton and had two sons ( Eily/ Frank and Andrew)and a daughter, ( Marie Helen Bygrove) . Frank William (1882-1897), Marie Helen Bygrove (1886- ), *Andrew Noel Du Moulin (1899-1924).
* Andrew Noel D.M. Linton embarked in WW1 as a private on 31/8/1918, his father AF Linton lived at “Arulen”, Crisp st. Hampton, Victoria. ( Andrew Noel, was a student at the time).Service #61422.
8/11/1923:” On the 7th November ( result of an accident), at Maffra, Andrew Noel Du Moulin, dearly beloved son of Fanny and the late Andrew Linton, Maffra Gippsland, also loved brother of Eily, aged 21 years”.
3.Charlotte Lottie (1862-1943), born Sale, Victoria, she married John Blythe and had five sons and one daughter. Charlotte lived in Euchuca and Maffra , Vic., died Sale , Victoria.
20/12/1893 The Argus , Melbourne – marriage of Charlotte and John Blythe
BLYTH-DU MOULIN.-On the 8th , at the resi-dence of the brides brother, by the Rev. D. R.Hewton, John Blyth, of Powerscourt, Gippsland,second son of John Blyth, Melbourne, to Lottie third daughter of the late J. A. du Moulin, Brook-dale, Gippsland.
John “Jack” Blyth (1862-1934), farmer at Cobram.
Charlotte and Jack’s children:
Iris (1894-1975), Ian (1896-1975), George(1898-1985), Adrian ( 1899- 1923), Alan ( 1900-1954), Brian (1908-).
4.James Arthur (1863 – 1932 , Maffra), born Sale, lived Maffra and died Maffra, buried with James A. is 5.Sarah (Sal) 1866-1937. ( Both were not married ). James was born Sale, lived and died at Maffra , Victoria.
James Arthur Du Moulin:
1895:James Arthur Du Moulin, owned this horse “laundress” winner of the 1895 Newmarket handicap. James had sold it previously to Ronald McMaster.
1892: Maffra Municipal Elections : J.J. Linton represented central riding and J.A Du Moulin represented the east riding. 1901 : James Arthur Du Moulin still represented the east riding.
( JA Du Moulin, WB Crisp, A.M. Foster ,were on the committee of the Maffra Horticultural and Pastoral Society in 1894). It would appear to be J.Arthur Du Moulin of Loii de Loek
1928: James A. owned a store in Maffra and was robbed of a Decca gramaphone and 21 records Sept 1928.
12/12/1932: The Argus
DU MOULIN -On the 10th December, at private hospital, Maffra, James Arthur, only son of the late J A. and M du Moulin, of Brookdale,Wadelock, Gippsland
12/12/1932 Gippsland Times
OBITUARYMr J. A. Du Moulin An old resident of the Maffra district in the person of Mr J. A. Du Moulin passed away on Saturday afternoon last.He followed grazing pursuits on the “Brookvale” estate at Boisdale for many years, but latterly had been living in retirement in Maffra. He always took a keen interest in municipal and political questions,and was also a loyal adherent to St.John’s Church of England.The funeral took place at the Maffra cemetery yesterday afternoon.Rev. H. A. Brooksbank conducting the services at the church and the graveside; Mr A. McAdam carried out the funeral arrangements.
Kate Davidson Du Moulin , daughter of James Andrew Du Moulin
6. Kate Davidson Du Moulin (1873-1958/60’s) , our great grandmother ,who married Herbert Ryan (1871-1967). She married in Melbourne in 1897 and lived at Berwick in 1903, then in Walhalla, Victoria in 1914. Lived at Trafalgar , Victoria (1931 and in 1949 , in between ), and went to live with Kathleen Rollason at Redland Bay, Queensland towards the end of her life.
Children: Kathleen Cue Ryan (1898-1997) ( our grandmother), Dermott Du Moulin ( 1899-1973), Russell Whittakers Du Moulin ( 1904-1986).