Stubbe, Stubbs, Stobbe, Stobbs:Richard Stubbe 1185 Templars , William Stob 1332,Geoffrey de Stubbes 1199 , Robert del Stobbes 1288, Thomas de la Stubbe 1296, Richard ate Stubbe 1327, ib. “Dweller by the tree stump(s)”. Also stybb ‘stub’ a nickname for one of short stubby nature .
Above is the full text of John Stubbs ( Virginia 1652), descendents of.
Document above by William Carter Stubbs
The early Stubbs’s came from Knaresborough Forest, Yorkshire, England.harrogateknaresb00fletiala_bw
The picture above shows the King’s Tower , was the height of fashion when built in 1307 – 1312.The castle was in the process of being built during the time of Henry 1st (d 1135 ) and completed in the reign of Henry III ( d.1589). The castle is famous with regards the the four nights who murdered Thomas Beket, the Archbishop of Canterbury. (1170) . The knights fled north and secured themselves in the castle, and there abode for a year…( The anti – Beket influence was strong in the north ofEngland ).
1350:Thomas de Stubbes,or Stubs born in Yorkshire, entered the order of Black Friars at York.
1379:The Stubbses were foresters from the Royal Forest of Knaresborough.William Stubbs and his wife were living at the ‘Villa de Clynt”at Birstwith.
Note the Stubbs’s of the 13th, 14th and 15th century period below:
John Stubbes b. 1430 Ripon, Yorkshire , England, ( knave of the forest), William Stubbes c. 1410, Knaresborough and John de Stubbes b.1387 Knaresborough, Yorkshire. William Stubbe c 1369, Knaresborough, Thomas de Stubbes c. 1325 , Knaresborough, John de Stubbes and Henry de Stubbes c. 1250, Knaresborough, England.
Knaresborough:The 15th Century: One notable fact is an epidemic of poaching.. many of the poachers came from the growing towns of the neighbourhood. …;even the local clergy and gentry were caught red handed; About this time , a great deal of wood was cut down on the forest,.. itself proof that houses were being built and houses laid out. Home manufacture of woolen goods and a tannery were well established at this time. (1430 – 40)
At this time, the forest was an adjunct to the then huge Sherwood forest, haunt of the legendary Robin Hood, – there is far more evidence that Robin Hood was in fact a Yorkshireman.
1767: The Court of the Forest of Knaresborough .. dealt out fines to over 500 individuals for “encroachment”. Encroachment onto crown lands was a widespread problem in the Forest of Knaresborough. The records for the offenders forms a mini census of the areas affected. The names of the villages and constables for the year ensuring for the Forest and Liberty of Knaresborough aforesaid and they are swon well and faithfully to execute their respective offices….. Thomas Stubbs ( constable ) of Beckwith and Rosset.
Offenders and Fines for erecting cottages upon the Waste of our Sovereigh Lord the Kings of Birstwith- Abraham Stubbs 4d.
From a letter written by Rev. Charles William Stubbs:D.D. Dean of Ely.”the family may be traced steadily to the time of Richard 2nd, when William Stubbe ,1379 , is found on the roll. In 1430 his grandson John de Stubbes , was “reeve” of the Forest of Knaresborough, so on down through the centuries, Johns, Williams, Thomases, for the most part. …. The Stubbs type of build and face is, I fancy very persistent. Bishop Stubbs and myself trace back to a common ancestor two centuries, but our friends have said there was a distinct family likenss, especially of colouring. The habit of blushing pretty late in life is a noticeable trait ……”
Stubbs Family Tree:
(Above is the official family tree by Jane Stubbs Historian – based on the lineage of John Dixon Stubbs( our great great grandfather ). This tree is not complete to our generation, a work in progress.
Handwritten family Tree retrieved from Dad ( John):
The above document was created by Arthur Stubbs way back.
The Family Tree as compiled from both of the above trees:
- Alphege Stybb (0968 – 1000)
- Richard Stubbe(1002-1185) d SussexEngland.
- Geoffry De Stubbes (1093 – 1199)
- 1350AD Thomas De Stoubbes or stubs – A master of theology ,
- STUBBS, THOMAS (fl. 1373), chronicler, is said by Bale to have been a native of Yorkshire and a Dominican friar. Canon Raine thinks he may possibly be identical with the Franciscan Thomas de Stoubbes who was ordained priest at Durham on 13 Jan. 1344 (Historians of York, ed. Raine, vol. ii. p. xxiii). If so, he must have changed his order. He was certainly a Dominican in 1381, when Bishop Hatfield made him one of the executors of his will (Testamenta Eboracensia, i. 122). The reference confirms Bale’s statement that Stubbs was a doctor of divinity, but it is not known of which university. A number of works are attributed to him by the sixteenth-century literary biographers, but the only one that appears to be now extant is his ‘Chronicle of the Arch-Ordained priest 20/12/1343 – Durhamcathedral. (Order of the Black Friars York)
Born of York, remarkable for ecclesiastical learning and regular life. Ordained priest by Richard Suffragan, Bishop of Bisac. (Fourteen valuable works were written by him.)
Friar Thomas Stubbs D.D. was an inmate of the friary as the reputed author of a history of the Archbishops of York from 1147 to 1373, besides many other works. In 1381, the friars obtained a royal confirmation of grants with license to rein close and resume lands. This license of Richard II was ratified in 1464 under Edward IV.
In 1358, we find the friars trying to recover a young friar, William De Newton, who had been seized and carried off by his relatives.
In the riots, which took place in 1381, a wall within the habitation of the friars was broken down, and the king ordered the mayor to compel those who broke it to repair it.
- William Stubbe + wife at Birstwith. B.1378 – 9 AD : William was the first who bore the name Stubbe. From “stob/stub” = the root of a broken tree. Born Fewston, Knaresborough.
- His son, William Stubbes ( 1414 – 1430) Born Birstwith.
- His son John de Stubbes B 1430 – an officer ( A “GRAVE”)of the forest of Knaresborough . ( Born Ripon ) Other son : William b. 1435, born Ripon. Also, Thomas b. 1442
The origin of the family of Stubbs is by common consent located in the Forest of Knaresborough. This royal forest of knaresborough is a range of country about twenty miles in length and eight in width, diversified with mountain and moor, .. Extending from Knaresborough westward and southwestward to the heather – clad hills overlooking Bolton Abbey. In mediaeval times, it was surrounded by feudal strongholds and ecclesiastical establishments. Later the lowlands were enclosed and cultivated, although some uncultivated tracts were unclaimed until the end of the 18th century,. Modern times have completely changed the original scenes, and today nothing remains of the the Forest except for its name.
From a poem called ‘The Hunt”, given in “The Lays and leaves of the Forest” (of Knaresborough) by the Rev. Thomas Parkinson, the following verses are selected:
“John Jeffrey of ‘The Trees’ is there,
And Stubbs of Whitewall Nook –
Guy Palmes of Lindley th’sport to share
Hath come o’er moor and brook”.
“But oft a root though hid away
By shoot is not unknown,
And Fairfax, Stubbs and Thackery
Are names the world doth own”.
- Son of John : William resided RIPON .
- John’s property at Birtswith to William’s son Thomas in 1442.
- Son of Thomas : Thomas Stubbs of RIPON (1490 – 1535), m.Alice“Grave” of the Forest. ( Therefore had probably returned to the residence at Birstwith in 1498 ) His, (Thomas’s) brother was William Stubbs b 1516 who was the Chaplain to the Sheperd Lord Clifford of Skipton and Barden.
- Son of Thomas Stubbs : Miles –1535 – 1555 m. Jennit (1529 – . Miles born inLangskales ,England. In a letter from Rev. Charles Stubbs, D.D. Dean of Ely: in 1620 Mr. Stubbs bought of Mr. Thomas Maddox for L25 two shares in the VIRGINIA COMPANY inLondon. Mr. Stubbs was also a member of the London Company inLondon in 1622. ( Browns Genius page 940)
- Son of Miles: William Stubbs of Feliscliffe (d 1575) m. Alice Bolton. William had a brother John. Other son of Miles is John who also resided at Feliscliffe.
- William’s third son was Thomas Stubbs who resided at Whitewall(1573 – 1648)
- Thomas’s son, Thomas Stubbs, was connected by marriage to the Atkinson’s , who held one of the principal farms under the Ingilby family of Ripley at Haverah Park , and between 1664 and 1672 he succeeded Thomas Atkinson there as a tenant.
- haverah park
- His son, Thomas Stubbs b. 1650 ( of HaverahPark ) married Alice Simpson of Clint and died in 1716.
- Thomas Stubbs Had a son ; Thomas Stubbs of Haverah Park
Haverah Park:Ownership of the park was granted to Sir William Ingilby Bart by Charles II (1660-1685) towards the end of his reign. The park remained in this family’s ownership into the 19th century. Much of the eastern area of the former park is now under management of Yorkshire Water. The Atkinsons held one of the principal farms under the Ingilby family of Ripley at Haverah Park between 1664 and 1672 . Thomas Stubbs 1614-1672 succeeded as tenant .His son Thomas (1650-1715 ) m. Alice Simpson and stayed on at Haverah as did his son Thomas. At least Three generations of Stubbs’s were at Haverah Park !Note, Fewston is just west of Haverah Park. The remains of John of Gaunt’s castle is a feature within the former park.
“Though tenants on the farm in Haverah Park, the family was of substantial yeoman rank, owning considerable property in the neighborhood. The eldest son of Thomas, and his successor on the farm was John Stubbs, who had numerous descents. The fourth son of Thomas was Joseph Stubbs(d1760) – m. Sarah Randall(d. 1780), who broke away from the family home and resided at Gray stone Plain in Felliscliffe. He had three sons – Thomas, Joseph and William* – who resided in London and from whom descended the Rev. Stewart Dixon Stubbs, vicar of St James Pentonville. ( The Reverend along with Bishop Stubbs were Illustrious members of the Stubbs family )
- Thomas Stubbs, ..m. J. Morley Born in 1735, moved to Ripley and thence his descendents successively to Boroughbridge and Knaresborough, in the last generation, the family occupied the position of merchants, bankers and solicitors. At Knaresborough .. The great grandson of Thomas Stubbs of Ripley was born. WILLIAM STUBBS the subject of this article” ( This is from the study of the pedigree of Bishop Stubbs)
- The marriage of Thomas Stubbs and J. Morley : produced William who married Mary Henlock
- Their son was William Stubbs the Bishop of Oxford. m. Catherine Dollar m. 1859.( Note Bishop of Oxford was our Great Grandfather’s( Charles Stubbs’) first cousin. )
- It was in fact ,* William of London, the son of Joseph Stubbs(1760) , who carried on the direct linage to out current family of Stubbs!
- William had a son Joseph Stubbs of London (1796 – 186-) had a son John Dixon of Ealing ( our Great Great Grandfather)(1824 – 1851 ) m. Elizabeth Lynnington
- John and Elizabeth had a son Charles : b. 1850m. Francis Saunders. ( Our great grandfather )
- Charles ( b 1887 )( our Great Grandfather) and Francis had a son Eric Stubbs ( Our Grandfather ) m. Meta Hoelscher
- Charles and Meta had three sons : John( our dad), George and Charles.
- John m. Joan Rollason and had two sons ; Philip and Matthew and one daughter Jennifer(myself).
Coat of Arms:In burkes armory we find ‘Lawrence Stubbs and Richard Stubbs (1525) arms in the chapel Balliol College, Oxford” (noted in 1574)
“Sa.on a chevron engrailled between in chief two lilies and in base a pheon ar. three leopard’s faces az. a chief gu. charged with two keys salterwise between as many trunks of trees eradicated and couped or. piereced through with arrow of the second”
The following as given by English cousins is described as follows:
Field of shield azure, with bend in gold upon which are three buckles in sable. Upon the field are stag’s horns with a crown head above them. The stag’s head above is the same, which Edward 1stof England used upon his coat of arms.It has been stated there was a motto “Aequo adeste aniino “(be of just mind/ be ye ready with itnrtiffled courage). However, another site suggests that a motto was not recorded with the Stubbs coat of arms (as per ancient heraldic archives: “Riestap Armoial General”.)